Really, really bad news

After months of waiting on the right parts and hours of painstaking, precise reassembly of the engine I put everything back together and tried to start it. It seized after running for just 3 seconds. After further diagnosis we’ve determined that there are at least 2 rod bearing caps out of sequence. The rods can only be bolted to the exact same caps as they are cast in one piece, then cut apart and machined. This probably also damaged the new crank and bearings in the process. Fixing this will require matching the caps back up with the rods, which means pulling all six rod/piston assemblies and taking them to a machinist. Major pain. I’m taking a few days to mull over the situation and decide what to do.

This entry was posted in 1992 DOHC GTP, Projects. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *